Re: Which to Choose; Absolute Encoders or 92 mm Stowaway

Christopher Erickson

YES!

I would LOVE a lightweight Half-Mach to perfectly-match my Stowaway when travelling for eclipses.

Use high-tech materials like titanium and/or carbon fiber to get the weight down as much as possible without losing rigidity.

Bulk wouldn't be as important as weight.

Round or triangular holes to reduce weight in places where the missing material wouldn't effect rigidity.

Splitting in half for transport and assembly would be nice too.

Scale it to be able to handle a Stowaway, a double-stack Coronado 90 and a full-frame dSLR.

Or maybe have a standard aluminum version and a much-more-expensive-and-much-lighter titanium version.

Hopefully that would cover all of the bases.

I would be very happy to spend serious coin on a titanium Half-Mach.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 9:55 AM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

The MACH1 GTO is 31 lbs
Interesting. I just weighed the two components of the Mach1. Ra weighs 17.20 lb. Dec weighs 11.95 lb. for a total of 29.15lb. That's without the dovetail plate which can weigh +- depending if it's the short one or the long Losmandy one. That's about a pound and half more than the 1100 RA axis alone. Hardly a back breaker.

I also weighed an older 400 GTO mount which came in at 19.5 lb. We had people throwing heavy long 6" refractors on it, so that's why we replaced it with the larger Mach1. Maybe we need to go back to making a newer version of the 400 for use with more modern short focus imaging refractors and the smaller (8 inch) SCTs.