Re: Which to Choose; Absolute Encoders or 92 mm Stowaway

Christopher Erickson

Personally, I believe that we should...

NEVER GIVE TELESCOPES TO SCHOOLS.

GIVE TELESCOPES TO TEACHERS OR STUDENTS INSTEAD.

If you give it to a school, it inevitably ends up being controlled by school middle-management bureaucrats and spends the rest of its life in the back of a crowded supply closet, never to be seen by kids ever again. The tax write-off for giving it to a school will end up being next-to-nothing anyway.

If you give it to a dedicated teacher, that person is much more likely to learn how to use it properly and take it with them throughout their teaching career.

If you give it to a dedicated student, that person's life will be changed forever.

If it is a big, expensive, complicated telescope, consider selling it to another astro-nut who will love it, or work to establish an NPO in a local community to operate it, put it in an observatory, and perform outreach.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 8:27 AM Michael Hambrick via groups.io <mike.hambrick=arlanxeo.com@groups.io> wrote:
That is a great suggestion. I have also thought about donating it to a local school. Only bad thing is I kept the pier to use with my 1100 mount.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support