Re: RAPAS on Mach2

Charles Thompson

I use the RAPAS each time I go out for a rough PA. I can never tell how good it is until I start up PhD2 and check it with guiding assistant. Once Polaris is behind the reticle line you can't see it to know exactly where it is. Usually I try to get it correct in altitude with it beside the line, then use the alt/az bolts to slide it in place behind the line in the polar scope (RAPAS). 

Is that similar to what everyone else does?

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/20/20 12:15 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] RAPAS on Mach2

For what its worth -- I used a polemaster and never found it to work very well, other than a rough alignment tool. I have had better results with a RAPAS unit that was calibrated after a PEMPro alignment was completed. That does a great job of getting me aligned quickly, and easily. Well before Polemaster can even display stars.

I now have a RAPAS as well.    It's hard to know the accuracy difference, and how close you can eyeball it but the only way to do a good polar align without a computer.    I'll report back once I've adjusted the RAPAS holder after another good polar alignment.   The polemaster does require it to be darker out, especially at the higher gain settings that I seem to need to lock onto the fine adjustment stars.   I'm hopeful my experience over the past weekend is repeatable.

T

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.