Re: Absolute Encoders and Running a Pointing Model

Bill Long

Should be fine. I know Tolga is imaging on a Paramount/CDK at DSW using no guiding (with ProTrack model) and while I think Mike Selby is guiding on his rigs at El Sauce, unguided imaging is certainly feasible there. Having the backup guider in place is critical though. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Valente <bvalente@...>
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2020 9:31 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Absolute Encoders and Running a Pointing Model

Thanks Bill

our plan is unguided imaging on the CDK17 down at el sauce, so i'm banking on ae/appc. we are aware that it may not work out, so guiding is our plan b

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 9:07 AM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
Yeah, guiding can make things better. In some cases, you cant guide (i.e. no good guide star available on the chip) and the APCC/APPM model with the encoders can save the project.

Like this one:

Shot completely unguided using APCC/APPM, 1100AE, on 10" iDK scope. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2020 10:27 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Absolute Encoders and Running a Pointing Model

Abs encoders can't compensate for OTA flexure, mirror-flop, etc., however a good pointing model might help a bit with those.

In a nutshell...

Guiding is like bacon. It makes everything better.

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 7:07 PM Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:
just out of curiosity with encoders, do you feel a need to guide?

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 9:53 PM Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...> wrote:
Thanks Christopher. I just installed them and they show a nice improvement in PHD2 :)

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.