Re: RAPAS on Mach2

Mike Shade

Thanks...the old method of drifting is a major pain but seems to work well for me and my setup.  It seems to change ever so slightly over the year, likely metal heat cycling in the AZ summer heat.  The PW 17 is a workhorse, when I check polar alignment I also check collimation.  That seems to hold pretty well, haven't had to tweak in a bit.  I also have AP scopes as well, those are cycle off and on of my old 1200GTO.

Curious as to where you were thinking of looking for property...that might be a topic for off-list though.

Mike J. Shade

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Already, in the gathering dusk, a few of the stars are turning on their lights.

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping towards the west.  Can it be half

a year since I watched her April rising in the east?  Low in the southwest

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

International Dark Sky Association: www.darksky.org

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Terri Zittritsch
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 3:59 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] RAPAS on Mach2

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 06:45 PM, Mike Shade wrote:

Using the traditional drift alignment method with an illuminated reticle eyepiece, I get round stars near the zenith with my first generation 1600GTO with a five minute unguided exposure, PEC on.  This is with a Planewave CDK 17, 2940mm fl, image scale .63"/pixel, permanent observatory setup.  Never had much use for or luck with software assisted polar alignment, although some people do.  Many years ago I had one of the red robotic mounts from "the other guys" and used their polar alignment program built into their pointing program.  Never seemed to give the same answers though.  The drift does take a bit though but as it is something I check about once a year, not that big of a deal.

Mike,
That is impressive!     This is what I want.. a once a year checkup on polar alignment!     The Planewave's are also something I've had my eye on!    We were planning to find a place with 10-20 acres this spring, and covid has put a damper on our moving for the time being.     Before the Planewave, I need an observatory!

Terri

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.