Re: RAPAS on Mach2

Terri Zittritsch

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 01:47 PM, W Hilmo wrote:

When I set up in the field, my general workflow is to set up the mount during the day and go through the daytime polar alignment routine.  Then, at dusk I use the RAPAS to do a final tweak to the polar alignment.  If I do this, and then blink a stack of a whole night’s imaging, there is no noticeable field rotation between the first and last images of the session.  The daytime alignment takes me two to three minutes while the sun is up, and the tweak with the RAPAS takes about 30 seconds.

Thanks W Hilmo,

Not sure I ever see field rotation with any of my gross polar alignment methods.  I think you'd have to be pretty far off to see field rotation (but honestly don't know what that would be).  I'm trying to understand what kind of measured repeatable polar alignment people get.    Is 2 minutes, 3 minutes?   30 seconds?   With Polemaster, it's advertised at 30", and I see all kinds of claims on-line (hard to believe claims.. and claims that would be hard to even measure), but who knows.  Maybe I am just the worst polar aligner ever.    If I can do an accurate polar alignment (30") in 30 seconds, I will be exceptionally happy!!   I've never tried the daytime polar alignment.

Terri