Re: ethernet connection troubles

Steven Panish

Remy,

Start by looking for the addresses used by the other network components.  Typically a local network will use 192.168.xxx.xxx and the mask will determine the address ranges.  But....my advice is to physically bring someone in who understands network addressing, which is complex.

Steve

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 12:21 PM Chiri� R�my <remy.chirie@...> wrote:
Thank you very much Steve for your help.

FYI, this address (169.254.1.140) has never posed any problem of Ethernet communication since the reception of this AP1100-AE mount (sn: AP1100-003 acquired in 2013), both with the GTOCP3-AE and the GTOCP4.

But this problem has only occurred since the repair was returned to Astro-Physics ....

But now, not knowing the reasons why this address 169.254.1.141 is not suitable, reading nowhere in the Astro-Physics documentation any information on this subject, I would like to have all information on the type of static IP address allowing me communication via ethernet between a computer and the GTOCP4.

Should I do some engineering studies before acquiring such equipment .....?

Thanks in advance.

Rémy

Le 15 avr. 2020 à 17:59, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> a écrit :

Remy,

I am not familiar with your equipment since I have older (ancient!) components.  But the 169.xx.xx.xx addresses are not useable.  They are assigned when there is a networking error.  If you have a friend who knows networking, it would help to bring them in to look at all the components of your network.  In particular, the address for the DHCP server cannot be correct, it would not be a 169. address, and the mask is also not correct.  This stuff is all annoyingly complicated.  I would start by looking at other addresses in your network, particularly the router/switch which is acting as the DHCP server, and seeing what address ranges are being used.  Then I would manually set an address and mask in the correct range for the CP4, and the gateway, which is the CP4's access to the network.  Once you get that working, and have access to the DHCP server, you can try automatic settings.

This kind of issue is very difficult to debug remotely, which is why it would be best to get someone to help on site who knows something about networking.

best,
Steve

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 3:00 AM Chiri� R�my <remy.chirie@...> wrote:
Hello, I would initially like my academic assignment to be corrected. For this, here are the displays of the connection settings made by the link “GTOCP4 Ethernet - Wifi Poll”.
Tell me please if I have correctly written these parameters for a computer ethernet link to GTOCP4.
Thank you for your correction.
Cheers.
<E1-Chgt adress.png>

<Wifi enabled.JPG>

Le 13 avr. 2020 à 18:36, Greg Vaughn <gregvaughn@...> a écrit :

Hi Remy,

Out of habit, I always use the USB to Serial cable into the RS232 port on the CP4, but I wanted to test the Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections and was having difficulties.   I called George at Astro Physics (probably best to email him these days) and he was able to walk me through the process of setting it up properly in APCC and reaching a successful test.

One of the key features in his troubleshooting help was a newer JAVA polling applet called ‘FindMounts_VFM-XX-XX’  (  The newer script had features that were much more helpful than the previous one which I had been trying to use.

I would connect with George and he can give you some straightforward guidance on how to set it up with APCC.   I am not a network wizard either and George still managed to walk me through it and get me connected.

Cheers,
Greg

p.s.  I looked for George’s email which forwarded the polling script, but I can’t seem to find it.  I believe the current version is ‘FindMounts_VFM-01-02’