Re: Mach1 Unable to Find Home Position Suddenly

Roland Christen

I did what Rolando asked below and the mount comes always short about the same amount.
Can you please tell what exactly you did, how you commanded the mount to move without a planetarium program?

From: Mikko Viljamaa <mikko.viljamaa@...>
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Apr 3, 2020 9:04 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach1 Unable to Find Home Position Suddenly

OK, so a couple of observations and a correction, hope these helps.

First a correction, when I have said clutches I actually meant levers. So if I disengage the lever and then rotate the mount to align it, things go worse. That's why I have not done that other than tried a few times to see if it helps. So when I have now tried to rotate the mount, I have done it as Rolando describes below, just without loosing the clutches first as the axes seem to move OK otherwise. The knobs are as tight as I can tight them without any tools and the axes are by no means loose, I need both hands to turn the axes.

Then the observations. I was assuming that when Rolando said that I can to the test during the daytime that he meant just slewing the mount to different directions and see how it returns. That's what I did and the mount never returned correctly after it started from the "last parked" position. BTW the mount had returned spot on after last nights session. I did what Rolando asked below and the mount comes always short about the same amount. And what I noticed was that the mount always came short to the same side the slew was!  So if I slew to NE, the mount fell short of correct position below the fixed line and if I slew to NW, the mount was short of correct park above the line.

The second observation was that if I didn't correct the mount as Rolando describes below (manually correct, disconnect from SGP and power off), the error multiplies about the same amount in the following slews (see photos below).

So what I can tell is that;

  1. it seems that the error shows now only on Ra axes
  2. Error seems to be consistent, about the same amount every time and regardless where you slew
  3. Error shows always on the same side of the mount where the slew started

Hope these helps,

Mikko