Re: Lubrication interval

Don Anderson

John
Always good to err on the side of caution. Use only accounts for a portion of the grease degradation. Age is a factor as well. I found after re greasing my AP900 (2009 vintage) that the gear train purred like a kitten! I could tell the original grease had dried out because the gears were quite loud especially slewing at 1200X. There was also a tic tic tic sound in the gear train in the Dec axis which was gone after re greasing. Probably due to a dried lump of grease in the gears.

Don Anderson

On Friday, March 27, 2020, 02:51:32 p.m. MDT, Elenillor <elenillor@...> wrote:

I decided that at my Mach1's age (second run 2007) and it's new use, slewing around the AP254 with 60# of counter weights I should re-grease it. The mount does not sit outside and is used for visual not photography so it's had a gentle existence.  Ordered re-grease package from AP earlier in the week and it arrived today.  Small jars of the spur and worm grease but  it's enough goop to do the job numerous times.

Took about 3hrs start to finish with a very deliberate approach.  It might not have really needed it.  The original grease was still in abundance but the worm grease looked a little separated. Regardless I feel better knowing it is freshly lubricated.

John