Re: How to Raise AP1600 Height

Don Anderson

Hello Jack
Those look like Linak columns. If so, what model are they and where did you get them?

Don Anderson

On Friday, March 20, 2020, 10:32:56 a.m. MDT, Jack Huerkamp <mallincamusa@...> wrote:

Robert,

I will get a roll of the Safety Tape.  I remember seeing it demonstrated in an episode of The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon was demonstrating the safety procedures in his and Leonard's apartment.  Now that I know what to look for, I will get some.

As far as the dual lifting column, I built it originally after seeing one my friend had erected in his observatory.  He had a single column with 1000 Newton (225#) thrust.  And he had it installed with the long dimension in the North-South direction.  When he had the column at maximum height with his CGE PRO and Meade 14" SCT on top, it did tend to have some flex in the East-West direction.  I decided to purchase two of the 1000 Newton columns, mount them parallel to each other with the long dimenseion in the East-West axis, and I started with a CGE PRO on top of the lifting columns.  The 450# thrust capacity was fine initially.  But the mount got replaced for the AP1600, I changed scopes from a single C11 to a MallinCam VRC-10 riding parallel to a Lunt 152.  And ocassionally I added an additional scope on top of the Lunt.  With my total load approaching 550#, I still was successful at using the dual 1000 Newton columns, but I ended up ordering a set of 2500 Newton lifting columns and installed them at the end of 2019.  With over 1100# of thrust available, I now have a nice safety factor and have had no issues with them.