From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack Huerkamp
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 9:26 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] How to Raise AP1600 Height

Robert,

I will get a roll of the Safety Tape.  I remember seeing it demonstrated in an episode of The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon was demonstrating the safety procedures in his and Leonard's apartment.  Now that I know what to look for, I will get some.

As far as the dual lifting column, I built it originally after seeing one my friend had erected in his observatory.  He had a single column with 1000 Newton (225#) thrust.  And he had it installed with the long dimension in the North-South direction.  When he had the column at maximum height with his CGE PRO and Meade 14" SCT on top, it did tend to have some flex in the East-West direction.  I decided to purchase two of the 1000 Newton columns, mount them parallel to each other with the long dimenseion in the East-West axis, and I started with a CGE PRO on top of the lifting columns.  The 450# thrust capacity was fine initially.  But the mount got replaced for the AP1600, I changed scopes from a single C11 to a MallinCam VRC-10 riding parallel to a Lunt 152.  And ocassionally I added an additional scope on top of the Lunt.  With my total load approaching 550#, I still was successful at using the dual 1000 Newton columns, but I ended up ordering a set of 2500 Newton lifting columns and installed them at the end of 2019.  With over 1100# of thrust available, I now have a nice safety factor and have had no issues with them.