Re: How to Raise AP1600 Height

David Albers

The glow in the dark tape that I use stays effective most of the night.  While I have not stayed awake from dusk to dawn to be exact in the actual number of hours, I can attest to at least 6-8 hours of effectiveness.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Joe Zeglinski <J.Zeglinski@...>
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 11:22 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] How to Raise AP1600 Height

Had to ask ...

    How does GLOW Tape work in the dark, around the scope which has been imaging?
Do you recharge the strip with a flashlight, every so often, such as between exposures?

    Otherwise, maybe a battery operated (or wired to a USB port on the mount),  flashing LED taped to the “counterweight bar safety stop”. Same idea as the red lights atop tall buildings/towers near airports.

    Since this has been an astronomer’s hazard for many decades, maybe AP could design a new Safety Stop, with a built-in or affixed (coin) battery holder and a flashing,  LED-lighted fibre optic (annular) ring around its edge. One could probably rig this up to an existing safety stop without much difficulty, using PC cabinet,  glow-fibre optics kits from any gaming PC store.

    Then we wouldn’t need to keep recharging the Glow Tape.

Just a thought,
Joe Z.