moderated Re: Time to enjoy astronomy and nature

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Besides the clouds I hope the pollen subsides a little bit. I just got home from a several week long trip and found a very heavy layer of yellow pine pollen on everything outside. From what I could estimate, the accumulation was heavy enough that it would have started to degrade images after just a few nights of viewing.

What is the conventional wisdom on pollen ? We had a similar discussion on the forum last year at this time and some members commented that they didn't do any observing during the peak pollen season.

Has anyone had any luck in preventing pollen from getting to the lens or mirror ?

What about removal ? At what point does it need to be removed ? I have heard that pollen can be very abrasive. Is there a risk of damaging the surface of the lens ? What is an acceptable technique for getting it off of the lens surface ?

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support