Re: GTOCP4 Not powering up

Bill Long

Wayne you really need to get onto that Mach 2 report sir. 🤣

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Wayne Hixson via Groups.Io <wayneh9026@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 6:47 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] GTOCP4 Not powering up

Thanks everyone! We figured it out. This was the first time he’d had it out on a bright day.... you can tell where this is going. We went through a lot of the troubleshooting steps and all was fine. Then the clouds rolled in and he noticed he could see the power light, and then the hand controller display. Something I should have asked first. Sorry for bothering everyone! Thanks again for possible future need!

Wayne

On Mar 8, 2020, at 6:35 PM, Woody Schlom <woody_is@...> wrote:

The OP says it’s a CP4 controller which I understand uses a different power connector.  As I recall it’s a HiRose connector on the controller and the power cable has PP connectors on the other end.  My experience with HR connectors is that they’re very good so I doubt that’s where the problem is.  So your suggestion regarding the split center pin conductor doesn’t apply – even though it’s a good one.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of W Hilmo
Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 5:13 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

I second the suggestion.   Even better, try to power it from a fully charged 12v battery.

I had a Pyramid 20 amp power supply fail on me.  This was as Oregon Star Party, and I was running the power supply from my motorhome’s AC inverter.  The power supply went “click” and started buzzing.  At that moment, I had a bunch of equipment fail all at the same time.  I always run with a power meter inline, and it showed that the power supply was putting out 20v.  That was enough to shut down a bunch of gear.  I switched out the Pyramid and went to straight 12v from a spare set of batteries.  Fortunately, there was no permanent damage (except for the power supply), and I was able to get everything up and running again.

Since then, I’ve switched from Pyramid to a 30 amp PowerWerx power supply.  It is much smaller than the Pyramid, and runs *much* cooler than the Pyramid ever did.  I’ve also stopped using any kind of AC power when I’m out in the field.  The observatory tent gets its own pair of 75 amp hour AGM batteries in parallel, along with 300 watts of solar charging.  And I always run a buck-boost converter between the batteries and the astro gear to keep the voltage regulated at 13.5 volts.

One other suggestion as I think about it, if the mount looks like it’s getting no power at all, check out the center pin on the power socket in the CPx on the mount.  If I remember right, the pin has a slot in it.  If that slot has become compressed, it can cause a faulty connection.  In that case, take a small, slotted screwdriver and gently widen the slot in the center pin.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Woody Schlom
Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 5:00 PM

Even if that power supply has worked in the past, try a different one.  I’ve had one Pyramid not only die on me, but almost take a couple of other pieces of equipment with it.  Smoke suddenly coming out of a 12v video monitor was the first clue something was wrong. 

And when I did a simple test of the PS with a volt meter, it tested fine.  But it wasn’t.  Never did figure out what the problem was with that PS.  But everything worked (and still works to this day) with other power supplies.  So that one is gone now.  And I’ve also retired my other older Pyramid to emergency spare status.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Long
Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 4:41 PM

Unplug the power cable, from the box and blow on it, and plug it back in. 🙂 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Wayne Hixson via Groups.Io <wayneh9026@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 4:33 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] GTOCP4 Not powering up

The person who bought my Mach1 is having trouble. He’s using a Pyramid power supply that has worked before. He set up today but the CP4 light isn’t coming on and the Hand Controller doesn’t start. Looking for troubleshooting tips

Wayne

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.