Can you start making some smaller RC’s😀Thanks for the suggestion. One of the problems is how sensitive the CMOS cameras are. It is very easy to blow out stars. With my FSQ at f/5 I can’t shoot over 2 1/2 -3 minutes before bright stars are blown.

I worked hard on my collimation and it seems to have paid off.  I bought a focuser collimation ring and used a laser to collimate.

Robert

On Feb 14, 2020, at 4:56 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via Groups.Io <chris1011@...> wrote:

I like the resolution on that Running Man image. Very nice.

Try masking down the outer 1/8 inch of the mirror, see if that reduces the spray of light around the brightest stars. If that works, think about adding a disc in front of the mirror with a diameter perhaps 1/4 inch smaller than the mirror.

I have seen this on all Russian RCs (RC Optical scopes) where a disc of slightly smaller aperture really helped. Most of the RC mirrors from Lomo had turned edge and were only spec'd to 95% of the full aperture. The very outer part produced a heavy spray of light around bright stars.

From: Robert Chozick via Groups.Io <rchozick@...>
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Feb 14, 2020 3:47 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Close up of M81 without CCDT67

So, would you say the new advantages of the small pixel CMOS cameras is that they bring high sensitivity to small pixels?

I also got a shot of the Running Man with the 1600mm setup:

I got M101 at 1600 but the seeing was worse and guiding not as good.

Robert

On Feb 14, 2020, at 3:10 PM, uncarollo2 via Groups.Io <chris1011@...> wrote:

You are running 0.6 arc sec per pixel, which to me is not oversampling for high resolution imaging. In fact, for galaxies i prefer 0.3 to 0.4 arc sec per pixel which really brings out fine detail. My 17"F8 astrograph and the QSI 683 has such pixel scale and really does a superb job on small faint galaxies, even here in Northern Illinois. You have to have good tracking, of course, and on the best nights I can get below 0.15 arc sec RMS with the 1600 encoder mount.

I see a lot of images that are way undersampled (3 to 4 arc sec per pixel) with poor guiding that produces thick stars and very little resolution. To me these images resemble Brownie camera snapshots versus images taken with an 8x10 view camera. (shows my age, doesn't it)  :^))