Re: Close up of M81 without CCDT67

Stuart

Robert, these are both super shots but the Running Man is my favorite for sure.

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 16:47, Robert Chozick via Groups.Io <rchozick=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
So, would you say the new advantages of the small pixel CMOS cameras is that they bring high sensitivity to small pixels?

I also got a shot of the Running Man with the 1600mm setup:

I got M101 at 1600 but the seeing was worse and guiding not as good.

Robert

On Feb 14, 2020, at 3:10 PM, uncarollo2 via Groups.Io <chris1011@...> wrote:

You are running 0.6 arc sec per pixel, which to me is not oversampling for high resolution imaging. In fact, for galaxies i prefer 0.3 to 0.4 arc sec per pixel which really brings out fine detail. My 17"F8 astrograph and the QSI 683 has such pixel scale and really does a superb job on small faint galaxies, even here in Northern Illinois. You have to have good tracking, of course, and on the best nights I can get below 0.15 arc sec RMS with the 1600 encoder mount.

I see a lot of images that are way undersampled (3 to 4 arc sec per pixel) with poor guiding that produces thick stars and very little resolution. To me these images resemble Brownie camera snapshots versus images taken with an 8x10 view camera. (shows my age, doesn't it)  :^))