Re: Close up of M81 without CCDT67

Roland Christen

In my experience when I was using my 10" F14 Mak-Cass under very good seeing conditions I was able to resolve tiny doubles separated by 0.8 arc seconds in a deep sky image with a 7.5 micron pixel camera (ST10). If that's the case, then the same aperture at F7 could do this with a 3.75 micron pixel camera.

That's close to a 1600mm focal length. To me that would be a sweet spot for imaging at high resolution.

From: Dale Ghent <daleg@...>
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Feb 14, 2020 1:37 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Close up of M81 without CCDT67

Perhaps... probably would be fine. The 2.5-5um pixel size range of the common CMOS sensors these days will demand good seeing at that kind of focal length, but it's workable. What I would do is always image at 1x1and bin in post-processing (PixInsight's IntegerResample process, for example) on an as-needed basis if the pixel scale needs to be worked up a little due to the conditions.

1600 would be great for detail studies of all kinds of nebula, too.

For reference, Robert's camera sports 4.63um pixels. I have the same one, but QHY's version of it, and its Sony IMX294 is a really nice and super clean 4/3 format, 14 bit sensor with dual gain modes.