Re: Close up of M81 without CCDT67

Dale Ghent

Yeah, those are working out to be great sensors (the mono or color ~61mp IMX455, or the color-only 26.8mp IMX571, both with 3.76um pixels). I still keep dreaming that Sony (or someone) will release a mono, 16bit, BSI, APS-C format sensor. My 36mm filters would appreciate that because upgrading 3nm narrowbands to 50mm to suit a full-frame sensor such as the mentioned ones is a bit... oof.

On Feb 14, 2020, at 2:52 PM, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:

I would look seriously at the new 16bit cmos cameras from QHY and ZWO.

Jg

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020, 11:37 AM Dale Ghent <@DaleGhent> wrote:

Perhaps... probably would be fine. The 2.5-5um pixel size range of the common CMOS sensors these days will demand good seeing at that kind of focal length, but it's workable. What I would do is always image at 1x1and bin in post-processing (PixInsight's IntegerResample process, for example) on an as-needed basis if the pixel scale needs to be worked up a little due to the conditions.

1600 would be great for detail studies of all kinds of nebula, too.

For reference, Robert's camera sports 4.63um pixels. I have the same one, but QHY's version of it, and its Sony IMX294 is a really nice and super clean 4/3 format, 14 bit sensor with dual gain modes.

On Feb 14, 2020, at 2:18 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via Groups.Io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

That's really nice. Sharp and great color.

A question: do you think that 1600mm is a sweet spot for all kinds of deep sky imaging, especially for high resolution work? Especially since the newer Cmos cameras have such small pixels and would be able to take advantage of a high resolution optic for small faint galaxies.