Re: Inverter issue

Suresh Mohan

One last thing I’m gonna teat at dawn , I also carry a car inverter , I might want to try slewing the mount thro that just to make sure that it’s only only the field inverter that s giving a problem
Suresh

On 02-Feb-2020, at 3:55 AM, Suresh Mohan via Groups.Io <drsureshmohan@...> wrote:

Dear friends ,
     In india we only have 220 volts instead of110 v in the us . At home I have a 220 v ac to 12 v dc adapter 5 amp that runs my mount fine . Out in the field I need aninverter  to give out 220 v to run my laptop , since I have the ac wall adapter for the mount  I ran that too - but my mount stalled ( only in the field via inverter to dc conversion ). I assumed that has something to do with powering a servo motor that works fine when fixed to a wall ac socket via dc converter )
Sorry if I had not been clear - it’s  4 am here
Regards and thanks my friends for responding
Suresh

On 02-Feb-2020, at 12:03 AM, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:

Yes.  That is what the inverter is for, tto supply AC power from a DC battery.  But if you already have a battery supplying 12V DC, you don't need to use the inverter and an AC->DC power supply to drive a mount that wants 12V dc.  You can run the mount directly off the battery.  But to be safe, you can regulate the power out of the battery with a DC to DC regulator, and you should fuse this with the recommended fuse.  Using the inverter in the loop makes the whole thing very inefficient power wise.

STeve

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 1:27 PM Ron Kramer <ronkramer1957@...> wrote:
Wouldn't plugging the AC/DC adapter (power supply for the mount) into an inverter be DC and fine? Mine is pure sine wave version.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 1:22 PM Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
Suresh - Do not run the mount off the inverter!!!  The mount needs DC.  The inverter puts out AC.

Sine wave means the output of the inverter does a good job of digitally simulating analog AC power.  Some inverters put out square wave power, which is lousy but ok for some devices.

STeve