Re: GTO CP3 V-chip post-installation qauestions

Dale Ghent

On Feb 1, 2020, at 1:51 PM, Mike Dodd <mike@mdodd.com> wrote:

On 2/1/2020 1:27 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
Hi Mike,

(3a) In the ASCOM driver, how do I "give the servo a full
initialization?"
You do this by unparking from any of the park positions (instead of
unparking from last parked position). Of course you want to make sure
that the mount is physically in that position. I recommend unparking
from Park 3 then slew+recal using a known star or a plate solve.
Perfect. I like Park 1 vs. Park 3 because I can use a machinist's level to get the scope and CW shaft perfectly level.
You don't need to futz with making sure that the mount is mechanically level when instead you can just point the telescope+camera at a point in the sky, plate solve, and sync the solved coordinates to the mount. Since you have a permanent setup, and assuming your polar alignment is spot-on and your clock is well-sync'd, you should never have to worry about the mount being level or not upon returning to a park after a session.

/dale