Re: AP 1100 - 2 minutes unguided

Bruce Donzanti

Thanks, Joe.  I have excellent polar alignment in my permanent observatory.  I'll give it a go and see how far I can push the exposure time.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 1:36 PM Joe Renzetti <axnyslie@...> wrote:
I usually do 90 seconds with my C14 Hyperstar & 1100 unguided for narrowband if it's a particularly faint DSO then 120 seconds. But there will be a few subs discarded usually due to mirror flop. I don't guide because of the differential flexure it would actually make it worse. Good polar alignment helps a lot I once did a drift alignment with a 72ED refactor and PHD2 and when that was accurate I aligned the RAPAS to where the app said it should be so now it's always a quick easy alignment. Where the object is in the sky is also a factor I find it's better in the north sky and due East & West because the mirror is more stable there.

Joe

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 12:25 PM Frost David <frosty5@...> wrote:
Bruce,

I always shot my RASA unguided on my 1100.  That’s basically what you’re hyperstar is.  You’re probably only shooting 60-90 second images with that.  I just aligned with my RAPAS and started shooting.

For longer shots unguided, just do a big pointing model with APCC Pro and do a very good polar alignment and it should be no problem going 5-10 minutes unguided at that short focal length.  Roland has done some 15 minute ones with a very long focal length scope and the shots look great.

David

On Jan 31, 2020, at 11:18 AM, Bruce Donzanti <donza2735@...> wrote:

ok- thanks for your input