Re: 1) Starting with CW up; 2) Slewing to a target, landing CW up

Geof Lewis

Hi Richard,
I do this all the time with my 12 year old AP1200GTO CP3, by setting the meridian delay in the V2 driver - note I do not have APCC. A positive number moves the 'meridian' east (earlier) and a negative number moves the 'meridian' west, i.e. delays the flip, which I also use when imaging planets if they are past the meridian as that is a more comfortable configuration for viewing and imaging in my observatory.
For me typically a 2 hour delay doesn't risk any mount collisions, but YMMV so you need to check that out. For some targets I've moved the meridian delay forward 3, or even 4 hours. As the delay is set in the driver any targets that you slew to within the user set delay of the true meridian will not invoke a flip that you do not want.
Good luck,

Geof

On 20 Jan 2020, at 00:35, Richard Spencer via Groups.Io <rgspencer@...> wrote:

All,

AP 1100 mount:

It's often useful to start an imaging run with CW up to avoid an eventual meridian flip.  Currently, to do that, I slew to the target with the usual default of landing there with CW down, and then do a meridian flip, re-center, and start to image.

1) But is there a way to tell the mount that I would like it to point to my target in the CW up position?  This would streamline things quite a bit.

2) Related: Once I'm near my object with CW up, I may want to slew to a nearby object to e.g. re-synch.  The mount again does this according to its default, landing there with CW down--which is not helpful.  So, a short slew of a couple degrees completely reverses the mount, and is also not what I want--I want to re-synch with CW up.

2 1/2)  Essentially same at 2):  Likewise, I'd like to slew initially to a star near my target, landing there with CW up, synch, and then slew to the target, keeping CW up.  I can't figure out how to do that; the mount always wants to land CW down when slewing.

There are two ways the AP1100 can point to an object, and it seems that there should be a simple way to tell the mount that I want to choose the one with CW up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Rick Spencer
Elkton, MD