Re: OT Equipment insurance

Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Mike, echoing what Steven said - for sure go through a broker who will be able to shop around. Specific points per your first e-mail:

I took pics of EVERYTHING. I supplied receipts for stuff I bought new; e-mail / paypal correspondence for stuff bought used.
I too screen captures of equivalent items for sale on Astromart if the items were no longer available new and included those.
I put all the detail in a spreadsheet plus the screen captures, mailed it to my broker and asked for e-mail confirmation that it was a) received and b) what they needed to PROMISE that my stuff was insured per my policy.

One thing that came out right away was that my home owner insurance covered cameras, bikes etc until I mentioned how much I paid for said camera gear and bikes at which point the broker yelled Whoa!!! and I was told that kids bikes and basic cameras were included but my stuff for sure NOT included under a basic homeowners policy. So they added a "Jewelry" rider that covers cameras and expensive stuff above the threshold of the homeowner's plan.

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 20:31, Mike Shade <mshade@q.com> wrote:

Thanks, looking into that option.  I am rural, might be a bit of a challenge, but will try.

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Already, in the gathering dusk, a few of the stars are turning on their lights.

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping towards the west.  Can it be half

a year since I watched her April rising in the east?  Low in the southwest

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

International Dark Sky Association: www.darksky.org

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steven Steven
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:20 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] OT Equipment insurance

Hi Mike,

I use a well-established Insurance Broker for ALL my insurance including astronomy, IT, aircraft, as well as household, buildings and personal/accident, etc. A broker has access to many different insurers and can explain their policies and how to make claims, what they'll need, etc. That is the way to do it. Insurance companies direct cannot be relied on unless you happen to really be in the know how they do things, and if you should have a claim, a broker will ascertain that you get the best service, and better sleep. Premium costs are not much higher - an unpaid claim can exceed anything you could pay in premiums.

Steve

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Mike Shade <mshade@q.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 14 January 2020 7:09 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] OT Equipment insurance

I am having a bit of a problem with my insurance company.  Like many I have a few telescopes, mounts, and associated equipment.  I was told that the equipment was covered under the "personal property" section of my policy and I increased my coverage a year ago to cover the estimated value.  My wife offered recently that I double check to make sure since the equipment is in an observatory on the property.

My insurance company agent is not helpful.  They are wanting appraisals, receipts, pictures, descriptions, maybe an inspection and possibly security measures for the observatory.  I asked who would be able to appraise said equipment.  Silence.  I know what some of the current cost is for some of it as it is still being produced.  However, some of it is no longer being produced (like my 1200GTO mount).  As I have been doing this for 45 years, I have a pretty good idea as to value.  I also offered that some was purchased private party, no receipts or they are long gone, or it was say 12 years ago.  They are not helping to solve a problem they created and I am getting somewhat frustrated.

So, how do people insure equipment?  I don't need to know who has what or the value, just how is specific equipment covered.

Thanks for any useful information.

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Already, in the gathering dusk, a few of the stars are turning on their lights.

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping towards the west.  Can it be half

a year since I watched her April rising in the east?  Low in the southwest

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

International Dark Sky Association: www.darksky.org

--

Stuart
http://www.astrofoto.ca/stuartheggie/

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.