OT Equipment insurance

Mike Shade

I am having a bit of a problem with my insurance company.  Like many I have a few telescopes, mounts, and associated equipment.  I was told that the equipment was covered under the "personal property" section of my policy and I increased my coverage a year ago to cover the estimated value.  My wife offered recently that I double check to make sure since the equipment is in an observatory on the property.

My insurance company agent is not helpful.  They are wanting appraisals, receipts, pictures, descriptions, maybe an inspection and possibly security measures for the observatory.  I asked who would be able to appraise said equipment.  Silence.  I know what some of the current cost is for some of it as it is still being produced.  However, some of it is no longer being produced (like my 1200GTO mount).  As I have been doing this for 45 years, I have a pretty good idea as to value.  I also offered that some was purchased private party, no receipts or they are long gone, or it was say 12 years ago.  They are not helping to solve a problem they created and I am getting somewhat frustrated.

So, how do people insure equipment?  I don't need to know who has what or the value, just how is specific equipment covered.

Thanks for any useful information.

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Already, in the gathering dusk, a few of the stars are turning on their lights.

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping towards the west.  Can it be half

a year since I watched her April rising in the east?  Low in the southwest

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

International Dark Sky Association: www.darksky.org

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.