From: Cheng-Yang Tan via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:04 AM
To: ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Off Topic - repetitive TeamViewer Screw-ups

Hi guys,

   I dumped TeamViewer after their ridiculous snooping program accused me of being a commercial user. It turns out that reading email with TeamViewer violates their policy: See Why do I see 'Commercial use suspected' / 'Commercial use detected'

Quote:
*******************

Commercial use applies to home office:

If you use TeamViewer for home office, it is commercial use – even if you just quickly connect to your work computer to check your emails. It does not depend on whether you register your TeamViewer Account with your personal or company email address.

*****************************

So what's my solution? I use VNC which is *free*. I've checked out TightVNC, TigerVNC and UltraVNC servers on my Win10 computer. And I've found UltraVNC to be both fast and reliable.

To view my Win10 computer from my Mac, I use the RealVNC viewer which is also free. Mac has a built in VNC viewer as well, but I found RealVNC viewer to be better.

And if you want to use VNC remotely away from your home network, you can use ssh tunneling. Note: I did this years ago so no current advice from me. But the procedure is available through google.

YMMV

cytan

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 10:14:01 PM CST, Joe Zeglinski <j.zeglinski@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

    Yet another warning about relying on running TeamViewer for “remote INTERNET access” for your AP-Mount telescope control – using their free, non-commercial license.

    An 82-year old friend, a senior lady I occasionally help out,  by using TeamViewer to remotely support her “Personal, non-commercial” PC use – got locked out again,  for the THIRD time -  since August. This latest reconnection, which took weeks to re-negotiate with that German company,  lasted only about 2 or 3 weeks.  She ran the program just a couple of times since then,  to check emails with her twin sister’s PC – before TeamViewer’s  customer “SPY PROGRAM” decided it might be used commercially.

    I wonder if the fact that she uses her PC   in a 30-story Condo-Tower residence,  makes the Snooper module think that it might be “Business Tower”. If it can snoop on the building’s  Internet trunk from her TV connection, then it could have found that there is just one other ISP and TV  serviced cable system (besides BELL), in that residential tower. So, it may seem like an “office tower” to the Spy module.

     Has anyone else here, who has also been locked out by TeamViewer’s shabby practice, also happen to connect via Internet login,  from a large multi-family high-rise residence, like hers? Maybe THAT is the hidden bug in TeamViewer.

    TeamViewer is reliable,  but can ONLY be trusted,  if logged into in-house, on a local WAN or LAN,  to control your backyard telescope’s  AP-mount, as I do. But, if you login with your TeamViewer Internet  ID account number, through their corporate server in Germany, you run the risk of getting cancelled without warning, and be without your telescope access for weeks. That can be disastrous if you need it for  photographing a certain target, or have  scheduled valuable vacation time. Luckily, so far for me, TeamViewer doesn’t seem to bother snooping on its use of communications limited to  inside the walls of a single family residence.

    Just a thought – and looking for another,  safer, free program, which is as easy to use via the Internet, but without such TeamViewer-like corporate  hassles.

Joe Z.