Re: Mean Well power supply question - closing the loop

Mike C

I would have a cover over the top to prevent frost and dew from settling into that open frame. Be warned you are hanging your GTOCP off a lowest price point Chinese made SMPS. Just looking at the PCB design and parts in it is cringeworthy. It is one thing to have a $200 television inside a constant environment house with these cheap switchers but I would never do it to a GTOCP outside in wildly swinging humidity and temps.

Now... this is a -40C certified switcher from TDK Lambda:
Conformally coated circuit boards, Nichicon capacitors, and I know... it's 8x or 10x the cost at $148.

Mike

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:29 AM Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:
After all the discussion about the Mean Well power supply, I thought I'd
post a final update.

I installed it this morning, and it's out there pumping 1 Amp into a 20W
resistor box. I want to be sure it maintains voltage (and doesn't trip
the GFCI) while operating in the cold.

Here's a photo on my website showing the installation:
<http://astronomy.mdodd.com/observatory.html#PowerSupply>

I appreciate all the opinions and suggestions this thread elicited. I'm
looking forward to running the AP1200 from a reliable power supply.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA