Re: Mean Well power supply question

Dale Ghent

The way I read the ANSI/IEC60601-1 standard this claims to conform to, these are standards which govern the /safety/ of electrical medical equipment that patients come in contact with. Low leakage, proper grounding, parameters like that. It doesn't necessarily guarantee or make any claims regarding the /performance/ of the device. That can be a different ballgame, especially if it's being used outside the environment it was perhaps designed or intended for (eg; outside in high humidity, sub-zero temps, hot temps, direct sunlight, etc and not in indoors at room temperature)

So I guess such certification is nice, but I don't think it makes something more (or less) appropriate for our kinds of use-cases, if that's what you're asking.

I don't think that, beyond a few basic stipulations, one needs to get fancy with their power supplies here. A quality regulated bench power supply that outputs 12-13.8VDC is what's needed. How much current it should be able to push is site-specific and up to your wallet. Bear in mind that you'll probably want an in-line buck-boost transformer to step the voltage up to 14-16VDC for your mount. Straight 12VDC in cold wether will make for some sluggish and hungry servo motors.

/dale

On Nov 7, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@pobox.com> wrote:

Good point but that shouldn't be too hard to change - I'm more interested in what people think in terms of it being a medical rated supply and if this means anything in terms of it being higher quality than the run of the mill supply.

Michael Fulbright

On 11/7/19 9:34 PM, Peter Nagy wrote:
Hi Mike,

This power adapter has strange DC connector. It shows 4-Pin DIN Male connector which is unusual for this hobby.

Peter

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 03:38 PM, Michael Fulbright wrote:
What about this style DC switching medical supply from Meanwell?

https://www.jameco.com/z/GSM120B15-R7B-MEAN-WELL-AC-to-DC-Switching-Medical-Table-Top-Power-Supply-Single-Output-15-Volts-7-Amps-105-Watts_2214299.html

Thank You,
Michael Fulbright