Re: NGC 247 in Cetus

Don Anderson

Very good work Geoff!

Don Anderson

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019, 01:47:46 a.m. MST, Geoff Smith <ghsmith45@...> wrote:

Big one here https://www.astrobin.com/full/lvbabj/0/

Mount: AP900 GTO
Telescope: 12.5" Planewave CDK
Camera:FLI 16803 Proline
Exposure: 280min B, 190min G, 200min R, 150 min L.

FOV 37' x 37' (cropped from 49" x 49')

I actually took more L (410 min), but culled ruthlessly.
I also took some Ha (100min) but, although the image showed promise, the data was not good enough for inclusion. On the list for next year is to triple up the Ha and maybe get some better L--great what you can do with digital!

I rotated the image from the conventional E-W orientation. I think this looks much more dynamic.

The string of four galaxies just below and right of NGC 247 is known as Burbidge's Chain. These galaxies are about 300 million light-years distant. Deep images reveal that the two bottom-most galaxies in the chain are apparently interacting, joined by a faint bridge of material. This bridge can just be seen in this photograph.