Re: Orthogonality question

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

Thank you for building out the wiki it really is a great way for this information not to get lost in an email flood over time.

Michael Fulbright

On 11/1/19 6:45 PM, Marj Christen wrote:

Ok, I will take your last post and create a new Wiki so that the information does not get lost over time.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 5:42 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Orthogonality question

Thanks,

That is an alternate method which can be very precise, but requires dark sky and a bit of time. It's best used for a permanent setup.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Nov 1, 2019 5:33 pm

Here is the method that Roland posted this past July. I also posted it as a Wiki in our Groups.io  for future reference.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 5:15 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

It's in the manual, but since nobody reads manuals, I will outline the procedure in a separate post.

Rolando

To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Nov 1, 2019 4:09 pm

Rolando, I have been practicing in the past to do your routine for Polar alignment.  I cannot find the previous explanation you did I think this last summer.  Not used to the new group.io format yet.  Can you point us to your previous post.  Tom

On Nov 1, 2019, at 5:05 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via Groups.Io <chris1011@...> wrote:

If you have an Astro-Physics mount why do you have to use any kind of aid to find the pole. It's so easy to use the power of the mount itself to align your mount. And it can be deadly accurate, more accurate than any kind of electronic polar routine. And you don't need to see the pole at all. Would you like me to explain this again how the mount can find the pole? It's super simple but may sound complex when it is in written form.

Rolando

To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Nov 1, 2019 3:11 pm

@Greg. Thanks for the tip about Cone Sharp. I was reading through the instructions and it sounded great, until I read the last bullet point about requiring "A decent view of the southern sky (due south), able to see stars with a declination of ~0”. Unfortunately, I do not have a clear view of the southern sky. I live in a sub-division and there is a house directly behind my observatory. The best I could probably do would be a declination of around 30 degrees above the horizon. I might still give it a try, but not sure if it will work.

Andrew J

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.