Re: DSV and Windows 2000

Paul Gustafson <drgus@...>

You're quite right. My previous system was a dual boot Win95/WinNT with
separate OS partitions and shared applications. Unfortunately, this
prevented me from using NTFS. Since hard drives have come down dramatically
in price, I went for a different setup this time, with an 18 gig scsi160 in
two partitions, C: is 12 gig and is Win98 OS and games, and D: is 5 gig
Win2000 for the OS alone. Then I took two more 18 gig scsi160's (striped as
one 36 gig for speed), 32 gig NTFS for my Win2000 applications use alone and
the rest as FAT for a paging file. I gave up on shared applications between
the OS's, and it works like a dream (fast, too). Even if I wind up
duplicating installation of some key applications, I should have more than
enough hard drive space. :-) Of course, I remember hearing the same a few
years back when I picked up a monster 20 _meg_ hard drive -- "It's more
space than anyone could ever use."

Gus

Paul Wilson wrote:

Thanks for the info, Gus. I've thought long and hard about the dual
boot option too. The classic trick is to have separate O/S partitions
and a common partition for shared applications. It sounds like DSV
should be happy as long as it lives on the same partition as the
(boot) O/S.

The real drag (IMHO) about the dual boot is having to swallow the
least common denominator in filesystems, if you plan to share.