Re: Mach1 Thin Oil on Clutch Surfaces?

Tyrel Smith

Thanks, I’ll button it back up. Didn’t think it was causing any probs, just more of a general maintenance question.

I was going to make a different topic, but.. I have an idea of the dec problem, and is of course self-inflicted and embarrassing. Two things: while regressing my mount a while back I took off the counterweight bar prior to removing the RA gearbox. When loosening the gearbox the RA axis swung around freely and raked the worm across the ring gear 🤦🏻‍♂️. It seemed to be ok during guiding, but I started noticing some periodic large spikes in RA with a fresh pe curve.

I thought I would swap the RA and Dec gearboxes to see if the problem followed. After the swap I was able to get a much, much better PE curve with less than .5” residual error. The next dumb thing I did was to not notice that while reinstalling the dec gearbox once of the washers had fallen off one of the two bolts that hold it on. When I tighten that bolt down without a washer it unknowingly dug itself into the ring gear. When I tried to slew the mount it stalled and the screw gouged a nice little grove into the bottom of the ring gear. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️.

Its probably time for this thing to go back to A-P for an evaluation. I’ve just been putting it off.