Re: MACH1GTO VIBRATING

Roland Christen

This has NOTHING to do with your CP4 and will NOT be fixed with a CP3. Use a battery first so you can convince yourself that there is no vibration.

When using a power supply outdoors it is vital that you use a 3-pin plug and not use a 2 pin extension cord. The 3rd pin is a grounding pin which will safely carry any leakage current back to the house ground instead of finding its way to the pier via the 12 volt connector on the CP4. Power supplies can break down internally and leak dangerous 120 volt power to the 12 volt DC pins and thus to the mount and potentially to the person touching any of the metal parts.

Let me know if a 12 volt battery solves the problem.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Sat, Oct 5, 2019 12:42 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] MACH1GTO VIBRATING

Thank you Rolando,

I will do that, the POWER SUPPLY is the same since few years.. but I will do that, actually that was my next action to do.. I am already searching for one other power supply..

Thank you, I will send feedback..

PS! My GTOCP3 is also not available, a ASTRONOMY FRIEND; did ask me to give him my GTOCP3, since his GTOCP3 was nit working also..

But, I will follow your advice..

Thank you Rolandi

Martin

Am Sa., 5. Okt. 2019 um 19:34 Uhr schrieb chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups..com>:

I feel vibration, electricity or tickle
You may have an ungrounded power supply which has an internal leak that allows the 60 cycle power to feed thru the CP4 box to the pier and then into the earth. This is a very dangerous situation. Your power supply is most likely faulty internally and you must immediately disconnect it from your 120 volt mains. Otherwise you risk electrocution.

Do me a favor and replace the power supply with a battery and see if the vibration goes away. DO NOT use your power supply again unless you can get it properly grounded and checked out by an electrician!

Rolando

To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Sat, Oct 5, 2019 12:11 pm

Hi Rolando,

Yes, when I put my hands on the CP4 BOX; I feel vibration, electricity or tickle ..... and when the CP4 BOX is attached to the  "Pier/Tripod Control Box Adapter for GTOCP5, GTOCP4, GTOCP3 and GTOCP2 (CBAPT) "
the vibration gets more and when I attach the CBAPT to the Adatri Adapter then the Mount base starts to vibrate and so on, until the CCD and the AUTO GUIDER SCOPE.

I did open the GTOCP4 and the screws visible they were loose, did tighten them.. but the Vibration is still available..

Only way to get the mount not vibrate is not to attach the GTICP4 BOX to the ADATRI.. the GTPCP4 still Vibrates, but not the Mount basement..

I really can*t remember when it did start.. at the very start, I though the vibrations were caused by the CCD.. did change the CCD and buy a new one, and the vibration was still there..
and then few weeks ago when the sky was again clear, i did invest time to find the reason and did start to search..

Do not know what to do now..

Cheers

Martin

Am Sa., 5. Okt. 2019 um 18:39 Uhr schrieb chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

Can you feel the CP4 vibrating when you hold it in your hand?

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Oct 5, 2019 10:28 am

Hi Rolando,

Ok, I do not believe it myself, but the vibration is from the GTOCP4 itself.. NOT joking..

I did take every single part attached to / with the mount, and the vibration did stop as I did take off the GTOCP4 from its base " attachment to MAACH1GTO Adatri Adapter "

I did contact Marj, and did get a short notice, I should open the GTOCP4 and see if anything unusual inside it.. or correctly told "  Please open the box and check it out. "

That is what I will do now.. will go now and open the GTOCP4 and see or what causes the vibration..

Cheers

Martin

Am Sa., 5. Okt. 2019 um 17:10 Uhr schrieb chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

the vibration is not from the upper part of the MAC1GTO but from the botton the BASE "..
When you say base, do you mean the RA axis or the part below that?
When you say vibrating, do you mean that it vibrates when you bang on the scope and then stops after a few seconds, or does it continue to vibrate like a perpetual motion machine?
What kind of scope is on your mount? What kind of pier or tripod? Where are your counterweights located?
Can you post a picture of your setup?

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Oct 5, 2019 5:09 am

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your email and your kind answer, in the mean ime, I was in touch with Marj from AP, and did get some instructions, I did follow them, but none ithe instructions did work,
and I did by suprise and finally did find the reason or the source of it,  and why my MACH1GTO + GTOCP4 is suddenly vibrating " the vibration is not from the upper part of the MAC1GTO but from the botton the BASE "..

Waiting for further instructions from Marj..

Cheers

Martin

Am Fr., 27. Sept. 2019 um 14:03 Uhr schrieb mike.hambrick@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

I have noticed that when the cooling fan on my CCD camera (SBIG STXL16200) is running at high speed there is a noticeable vibration in my whole imaging system. This is with an 1100 mount.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike..hambrick@...

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.