Re: Work In Progress: Gamma Cygnus Region in SHO (Experimental - C&C Welcome)

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

What Rolando said! Love it!

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 15:15, benjamin.e.c.koltenbah@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Greetings!

I post this with some trepidation as I've been experimenting with color processing and enhancement of SHO data.  Sticking my neck out anyway, I'll ask for helpful comments and suggestions.

My subfolder link in the AP GTO folder:

Direct link to image in the folder:

AstroBin link for higher resolution:

This is very much a work in progress, but I've found this region to have so many interesting pieces that I wanted to process what I've got thus far and post it for your comments.  I assure you that I was not self-medicating on psychedelic substances while playing with ColorMask and CurvesTransform in PixInsight, but I was purposely pushing the envelope further than I normally do.  (Maybe I need to respect that envelope a bit more again?)  I left a twinge of my beloved green color, but made sure it did not overwhelm.

This is a two-panel mosaic around Sadr (Gamma Cygnus) taken with a Tak FSQ-106EDX4 and FLI ML16200 at 2.3 "/px on an AP Mach1GTO.  N is up, S down, W right, E left in the typical star almanac orientation, spanning about 20 min or 5 deg angle in RA and about 3 deg angle in DEC.  Sadr is the bright star just left of center.  I actually placed it dead center, but then discovered that this leaves a boring black nebula-less region along the left, so I cropped it a bit on that side.  The greater region about Sadr is IC 1318 or Sh2-108.  To the left is a nebula often called the Butterfly Nebula, although I've discovered there's a planetary nebula with that same name.  There is an open star cluster to the upper left, NGC 6910.  When I continue with this project (hopefully this same season), I'll do a better job researching the various parts of this image as I'm sure there are lots of other named places of interest present here.  Incidentally, the Crescent Nebula, NGC 6888, which many of us are much more familiar with, is just a bit out of view below the bottom right corner of this image.  Another mosaic panel there would easily cover it.

As for the features of the Sadr Region, I have found lots of neat pieces that may be worth revisiting with a larger scope in the future.  I was surprised and fascinated by the system of tendrils to the center right, fainter at the bottom right, that are reminiscent of the Veil Nebula.  There are little "tadpoles" also on the right upper side, likely those dark gas areas typically hiding formation of young stars, where the gas has not yet been consumed or blown away.  Sadr appears to be illuminating the nebula region just below and to the left of it.  And then there's the general collection of higher density of SII along the top, OIII along the bottom right.  That was a pleasant surprise as I wasn't familiar with this area and had no expectations of what I'd be able to illuminate.

To date I have collected (S,H,O) = 900s x (12,13,42) = (3,3.25,10.5) hr.  This represents three nights, roughly 50/50% time on each of the panels.  One night I devoted entirely to the OIII channel, and I had planned to devote the next solely to SII, but then the clouds and rain rolled in.  And a month later they have not left yet.  As a consequence, I have much smoother OIII data, but the SII data is still quite noisy.  The Ha data could stand to have more integration time, but as usual it's the strongest data, so I plan to accumulate more of it after the SII.

Thanks for looking and reading, and I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Ben