From: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:10 PM
To: chris1011@aol.com [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Using the GTO keypad with the Mach2

Hi Woody, I think you misunderstood, or more likely I wasn’t that clear. I will not be using the Mach2 for outreach. I find that equatorial mounts are more difficult for outreach versus a simple alt-az mount, like a fork mount SCT or something like the DM6, but I like the fork mount SCT because it tracks and I can have a whole line of people looking without worrying about whether I need to re-center the object or not. I will use the mach2 at star parties and for imaging. I’m curious as to what the constant current is during tracking, and I’m thinking it might be higher than other mounts given it has pretty good holding power. I guess we’ll hear from Rolando about this.

Terri

On Sep 18, 2019, at 4:36 PM, 'Woody Schlom' woody@alumni.ucla.edu <mailto:woody@alumni.ucla.edu> [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ap-gto@yahoogroups.com> > wrote:

Terri,

Unless I completely misunderstand the mount, it only draws high current (5A for example) while slewing at the fastest speed. Slower slewing speeds use less power and tracking uses almost no power at all.

So if you use the mount for public outreach where you might be slewing all over the sky at top speed, then it’ll use more battery power. But if you use it for imaging, where the mount just tracks for hours, it won’t use any more than you’re used to.

Woody