Re: Tracking and guiding with and without encoders - Part2

Roland Christen

I can see by the graphs that these motors are constantly correcting and therefore working hard.
No, they are not working hard while constantly correcting. This is a fallacy. Microsteppers get fed a constant current which varies not one iota whether they are moving or not. That is completely different from DC servo motors where the motor current is dependent on the load. The current that is sent to a microstepper is always the same whether they are at rest (not moving) or turning at various rates while tracking.

From: tgrick@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Sun, Sep 15, 2019 4:41 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Tracking and guiding with and without encoders - Part2

Roland,

I can see by the graphs that these motors are constantly correcting and therefore working hard.  I'm located in BOILING HOT south Florida and expect to receive a Mach 2 in December if all goes well.  My question is simple...is there any concern about the motors overheating?  I also have solar telescopes so the daytime temperatures can get really hot.  Thoughts?  Sorry, I just worry about things getting too hot - experience!

Rick Socarras