Re: Tracking and guiding with and without encoders - Part2

Chad A

Ray,

The stars in those images are horribly shaped as if tracking is turned off.  It's apparent even in the 1 second exposure.  Something is obviously going on there besides PEC being turned on or off.  Regardless, my question isn't about PEC.

Roland recently said on here, "Of course encoders improve guiding accuracy."  If that's true there should be a measurable and consistent improvement in Total RMS in PHD2 with encoders on vs. off.  I don't have encoders so I can't test how much improvement there might be - I suspect it's minimal and imperceptible in images.  It would be helpful for potential buyers like myself if this were tested and the results shared.  Valid results should be repeatable by non-biased users.

Chad