MACH1 and 1100GTO

matt brown

Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice on mounts, specifically MACH2 and 1100GTO.

I am a beginning imager.  I image at home and would roll the mount, tripod, etc. fully assembled out of the garage whenever I image and use a RAPAS for polar alignment.  I don’t want to add a computer to the setup. I have a MGEN autoguider but would prefer to not guide.  I plan on controlling the mount through a tablet or smartphone.

I’m not after world class images nor would I be collecting scientific data. Either mount would carry the imaging train (currently a DSLR and Stowaway and work up to a C11 someday). I’m located in Iowa so seeing won’t be the greatest.

Would the absolute encoders on the MACH2 be worth the additional cost for this situation?  After reading about absolute encoders it seems they are most beneficial to advanced imagers or amateurs actually doing science.

Thanks,

matt