I’ve thought about this a bit now, and I know chasing the seeing can be counter-productive when doing astrophotography. If you have a mount that should be tracking at .25 arc-sec or less, and if the seeing is poor and causing you to make mount corrections of arc-seconds, isn’t this being counter productive? Now of course I’m assuming perfect polar alignment which is hard to have especially if you’re always portable like me, and every night is different. But I do use a polar camera/solver that seems to do well, and even with my Atlas can get .6 arc sec tracking with PHD and a 400mm guide scope around the zenith (+-30 degrees) and have a chart like your first one (maybe not quite so pretty). As I get towards the horizons all bets seem to be off and the atmosphere takes over and my excursions get much bigger (like your second chart only larger excursions).

I’m just trying to wrap my head around making all of these large corrections (on your poor seeing night example) and what the encoders are doing for you in this case versus just very precise mechanicals (like A-P has always had). This looks very much like what I deal with constantly with my atlas and as most nights don’t have great seeing. All you really want to correct for, is any long term drift due to poor polar alignment or RA speed inaccuracy. I’m probably not understanding something here.

Terri

On Sep 9, 2019, at 7:50 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Trying again.

From: chris1011 <chris1011@... <mailto:chris1011@...>>
To: ap-gto <ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto@...>>
Sent: Mon, Sep 9, 2019 5:46 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Guiding guidance for Mach2?

I have been guiding with 2 to 5 second exposures using PHD2. 2 sec for guiding on a calm night, up to 5 sec on a night of unsteady air. If you expose for less than 2 seconds, especially on a poor seeing night, you should dial in at least a 2 second delay between exposures. Otherwise the guide star is going to be jumping around a lot because the guide program is going to try to chase the seeing. I have tried as fast as 0.2 sec exposures with no delays, but the guiding is not great. At that exposure level the star's centroid will never stay still even on a good seeing night..

I set my Min Move according to what the atmospheric motion is that night. On a good seeing night it can be as low as 0.1 arc sec.. On a poor night I have it set to around 0.35 arc sec. If you use the Guide assistance, it will give you some very good starting parameters for these settings because it first measures the atmospheric motion and then sets the Min Move accordingly. A really powerful part of the program, I have found..

Aggressiveness setting is usually around 60% +- 10. On a good night i can sometimes set it higher, but above 80% doesn't buy much.

As far as Algorithms, I have used all of them and find not much difference in performance.

On a very steady night I have consistently gotten below 0.15 arc sec rms on both axes. Sometimes below 0.1. On the poorest night my guiding is around 0.45 arc sec rms.

Here is a typical result on a good night (4 out of 5 seeing):

And here is a poor night when the seeing was 2 out of 5: