Re: Remote desktop software weird behaviour

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Ross,

    I just tried Win-10 Pro connection via the Microsoft RDP WiFi to link to a Win-7 PRO laptop 10 feet away – and the initial connection to the (remote, scope PC) works fine.

    However, the target, (e.g. scope) laptop logs out its user back to the Win-10 Login screen. That means I have to spend precious seconds/minutes to log back in from there, password etc., In a scope control  emergency such as a potential pier collision, there is no time for all that fallder-all.
Meanwhile, the originating desktop RDP session user window gets logged off (still having the remote desktop screen in view, but dead), and I get the following error message ...

Your Remote Desktop Services session has ended.
Another user connected to the remote computer, so your connection was lost. Try connecting
again, or contact your network admin or tech support group

    So, RDP is fine controlling the scope from one side of the link , but not like TeamViewer, or TightVNC, which keep BOTH PC’s sessions live, with active user control at both ends,  and commands can be entered from either keyboard, and either mouse.
I would consider MS RDP, but this is the way it has always worked, ever since Win-XP PRO days – i.e.  badly.
Microsoft didn’t complete the job on this, and certainly no good reason for insisting on the PRO version premium.
However, I recall I could link to the remote via Browser to  scope PC’s  IP link - without the need of messing with the remote’s Router Port setup,  from a really distant remote – but that would be a really risky “sneakers run, LAN” link, if something goes south.

    Ross, perhaps I am missing something in Microsoft RDP setup, or is this the “normal” way RDP is used – from one side only, no shared session?

Joe