Re: Remote desktop software weird behaviour

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Dale,

    You may be right, but not wrt. AP’s TV commercial account. If your example worked that way for a commercial TV license owner, then THEIR product would stop selling, and that would be a bitter lesson at $600 a seat. I suppose, if we didn’t have a TV license for AP to login, then we as the customer in trouble, would have to login to the AP TV web link – that’s the way Microsoft uses LogMeIn.

    I (somewhat) suspect that either a “TV new hire”  software developer or marketing guy, screwed up royally, or some of these competing  “tech support software” companies are acting quite juvenile, and purposely leaving “dirt” behind after a visit, especially when their support visit revealed the presence of their competitor like TeamViewer. A subsequent use of TV, triggers a “commercial use” ban. They may all be playing games in a tight market.

    As has been noted worldwide, this seems to be a recent rash of free use TV bans – I have had Howard log in using the AP’s TV account, to my TV free account as a  receiver, a couple of years ago, without any problem. Mind you, the TV’s AI program may have a “counter” on how many times a foreign program has logged in, and seemed to be commercial use, since my ban  didn’t happen until Microsoft logged in a half dozen times over a couple of months.

    Also, short of uninstalling TeamViewer, there is no way to kill its TSR  (Terminate but stay resident) function. Its icon is now always active in the taskbar icon area. This started with Version-14 Updates, earlier this year. In previous years versions, there was an OPTIONAL  checkbox in its (EXTRAS-Options-Advanced) settings, to have TV exit after a session – i.e. “Close To Tray Menu” - or leave it running as a background TSR, for easy remote login. That checkbox is now grayed out in the free licenses. If I could toggle it off as a precaution, except when actually logging into TV, I would. It was a nice security option, but now keeps the TV Sniffer nosing around our PC full time.

    As for moving forward to a free use program similar to TV, I would use Microsoft RDP, only if it could keep both host and client PC screens and mouse/keyboard active as TV does. Maybe we can convince MS to finally fix their Remote Desktop.

    I like the free TightVNC, almost as much as TV, but it is a hassle to have to configure a friend’s or remote family member’s Router or Modem Firewall, just for VNC login.  However – for local LAN backyard use of the telescope, TightVNC seems to fit the bill quite nicely.
So, I am still looking for an easy to use,  “TeamViewer-like” non-commercial use program. Might just use TightVNC for local astronomy, and leave TeamViewer for family/ & friends  remote access, outside the home.

    Hope somebody here can suggest another proven hassle-free alternative to TeamViewer – it sure was nice while it behaved itself.

Joe