Re: Remote desktop software weird behaviour

Joe Zeglinski

Ron,

You actually brought up an interesting “commercial use” dilemma with TeamViewer.

If I got banned because Microsoft logged in, using their own customer support app, while my TeamViewer was sitting IDLE in the notification bar, then how is Howard or anybody else going to be able to test & solve a customer problem,  even with the customer's TeamViewer in sleep mode, running in the background. Doesn’t even matter whether Howard uses his TeamViewer to wake up your TV , to join you,  or he uses a fully paid up  “commercially licensed” and completely different customer support application, instead of TeamViewer – YOUR copy will get banned ... even “by association with a commercial support outfit”.

So basically, it seems the new rules at TV are that you cannot even RECEIVE commercial support,  on a PC that has a non-commercial license installed, and it isn’t even launched to the desktop at the time ! The TeamViewer sniffer icon is always listening for a business link.

It’s the end of an era for us astronomers using TV. That outfit is getting nastier, and the TV free license is now strictly for use between “blood relations”. They certainly don’t want their software used “between “machines”, like telescopes, since that is NOT a person-to-person use of it. Industrial (telescope Machine) operation is deemed a “commercial activity” no different than if you were using it to run a hot rolled steel mill. They can’t tell the difference, so they have tightened the rules, and mere suspicion gets us banned.

Time to move far away from TeamViewer, which would please them enormously if their servers in Germany were not being tied up with us free-downloaders  It just makes good business sense, to them :-)

That now leaves the unresolved dilemma of how Howard and George,  can provide us direct, hands-on, customer support.

Joe

Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2019 11:05 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Remote desktop software weird behaviour

Ron,

That is EXACTLY the problem !  Contacting a business – in either direction, with you initiating the link, or you receiving the link, is “commercial use.

Howard ... i.e. Astro Physics is a “commercial location”, so small wonder you got caught. You cannot even “contact a business” or you become complicit in TV’s illegal use. I strongly suspect the reason I got banned was because I permitted Microsoft to login into my home PC using LogMeIn app, to test the source of a software problem. Of course “one of us” was a commercial establishment, so no wonder.

We have to be VERY careful about our PC’s using a “commercial link”. The TV clerk asked me if I EVEN used TeamViewer while having a coffee at an internet cafe, and used their free WiFi connection, just to check my home PC. THAT is using TV from or at a commercial establishment – so fair game, as well.

Basically,, you can’t just about go to the bathroom and take your mobile with TV active on it, and not get TeamViewer to banish you. It really is NOT worth using any longer. There has to be some better free provider than TeamViewer, one that isn’t so anal retentive.

Joe

Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2019 8:46 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Remote desktop software weird behavior

They were saying   ME OR A CONTACT  is using it commercially?  Has AP signed up to use it commercially?  Though I haven't had Horward connect up in over a year. I wonder if he was flagged and those he's connected to?
I just was clicking around teamviewer to see if I could reset it and found  "contacts from recent sessions" list which includes  Howard4AP.
?

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.