Re: NGC 7000 with CMOS camera

rchozick <rchozick@...>

The issue is not the length of time for the flat for flat purposes. The issue is that it is my understanding that the CMOS camera itself should not ever have an exposure less than three seconds.   I always take my flats at around 30,000 ADU.  I adjust the exposure to get there.  To get there with my flat machine I have to put in neutral density film.

On Aug 25, 2019, at 6:41 AM, Dale Ghent daleg@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

The only goal with flats is to get an illuminated frame from an evenly-lit light source, where the histogram is a nice hump centered at the %50 point. It doesn't have to be perfectly nailed at 50%. in truth, a flat is alright so long as no pixels are clipped one way or the other, but a perfect flat will look like that.

Obviously, getting that kind of result with an correct (or, adequate) exposure time is going to be specific to every setup, from optics speed and sensor settings, to the intensity of the flat light source - as well as considerations for any annoying interactions such as the rolling shutter one I mentioned. So there really isn't (and shouldn't be) a "rule" when it comes to exposure length and flats.

To take the fiddling out of arriving at this kind of result, we put a Flat Wizard into the app I contribute to:
https://nighttime-imaging.eu/docs/develop/site/tabs/flatwizard/

/dale