Re: NGC 7000 with CMOS camera

rchozick <rchozick@...>

The issue is not the length of time for the flat for flat purposes. The issue is that it is my understanding that the CMOS camera itself should not ever have an exposure less than three seconds.   I always take my flats at around 30,000 ADU.  I adjust the exposure to get there.  To get there with my flat machine I have to put in neutral density film. 

On Aug 25, 2019, at 6:41 AM, Dale Ghent daleg@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

The only goal with flats is to get an illuminated frame from an evenly-lit light source, where the histogram is a nice hump centered at the %50 point. It doesn't have to be perfectly nailed at 50%. in truth, a flat is alright so long as no pixels are clipped one way or the other, but a perfect flat will look like that.

Obviously, getting that kind of result with an correct (or, adequate) exposure time is going to be specific to every setup, from optics speed and sensor settings, to the intensity of the flat light source - as well as considerations for any annoying interactions such as the rolling shutter one I mentioned. So there really isn't (and shouldn't be) a "rule" when it comes to exposure length and flats.

To take the fiddling out of arriving at this kind of result, we put a Flat Wizard into the app I contribute to:
https://nighttime-imaging.eu/docs/develop/site/tabs/flatwizard/

/dale

> On Aug 25, 2019, at 2:53 AM, Robert Chozick rchozick@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
>
> The 3 second rule I have seen is from multiple posts as I go through comments on issues. I generally try to get the benefit of common experiences and comments whether I totally understand them or not. I don’t get as much chance as I would like to image in dark skies and don't want to take any chances. I regularly used .3 sec flats for my STF-8300 CCD without issue.
>
> On Aug 25, 2019, at 12:46 AM, Dale Ghent daleg@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
>
>
> You may need to have a longer exposure time for flats because LED light panels adjust their brightness via PWM. If the shutter speed of the camera is quicker than what the panel is being driven at for its level of brightness, you will get banding across the image due to how PWM rates interact with rolling shutter sensors.
>
> This need for a longer exposure can lead to an issue where the dimmest setting of a panel is still too bright for that exposure length and the flat is blown out, and one must resort to attenuating the panel light with ND film or other methods.
>
> /dale
>
> > On Aug 24, 2019, at 10:16 PM, Mike Dodd mike@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
> >
> > On 8/24/2019 9:31 PM, Robert Chozick rchozick@... [ap-gto] wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> The problem is that you cannot use bias on a CMOS camera. Any exposure
> >> less than 3 seconds is not advisable (not an engineer so not sure why).
> >> So if you cannot use a bias frame on your flats you have to use flat
> >> darks.
> >
> > I don't understand what's magic about 3 seconds. ZWO specifies an
> > exposure range of 32μs-2000s for the '1600 and the '294. I have seen no
> > issues with flats exposed for less than 1 second with my '1600.
> >
> > --- Mike
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> > Posted by: Mike Dodd <mike@...>
> >
> > To UNSUBSCRIBE, or for general information on the ap-gto list
> > see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto
> >
> > Yahoo Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> Robert Chozick
> rchozick@...
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.