Re: Are the new mounts really less rugged than the very old ones way back when?

Mike Shade

I have been an astrophotographer for over 30 years and have used a number of cameras, mounts and OTAs. I have found AP mounts to be a very good investment-and I have used other brands through the years. I have a first generation 1600 permanently mounted in an observatory holding a CDK 17 and this system runs about every night most of the year (we shutdown during summer monsoon). It has been doing this flawlessly for years. I have to remesh the gears twice a year and grease the gears, typical maintenance. Prior to the 1600, there was a 1200GTO-it is still in use but is for the occasional visual work and the more frequent planetary work. There have been problems and in every instance it was user/software error, not a failure of the equipment. A quick call to AP and there was a friendly helpful person on the phone to assist.

I have found through the years that there are a number of amateur astronomers ( I might offer over 50%) who are experts on equipment that they don't use or own, or are experts on the equipment that you own. They will tell you all about the flaws inherent in the equipment, without having any real firsthand knowledge or experience. With the advent of Internet discussion groups, everyone is now an expert, often on some obscure and generally irrelevant point but they have to prove that they are experts on the topic. There are also those who do own the equipment in question but are so tightly wound that they are unable to use it because they are obsessing about every possible detail, every potential pitfall and disaster. I have seen discussions on this list go on for days about which grease to use and people being almost hysterical because they don't have the "right" grease. They seem perhaps more concerned with this than actually getting out and using their equipment.

The point is that AP makes a fine product, have been doing so for years. They continually work on improving their products and designing new ones, and have a very good customer service reputation. The proof of this would be perhaps what has been called in the political world the "silent majority" those like myself who use their equipment regularly and push it to the limits. And it works well as it was designed to do, every clear night. Period. The proof is in the results that myself, and quite a few others are getting. This is a better testament to the quality of AP mounts than the experts on an Internet discussion group.

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping towards the west. Can it be half

a year since I watched her April rising in the east? Low in the southwest

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

International Dark Sky Association: <http://www.darksky.org/> www.darksky.org