Re: New file uploaded to ap-gto

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

That is amazing if they haven't added that it is such an important and trivial thing to implement.

I moved on from Maxim about 5 years ago but when I was using it I had a simple post-image script that ran and implemented dither every N.

It was based on this guide settle script and some code to use the modulus of the sequence index for the last frame to determine if it should dither or not.

http://www.winfij.com/maximdl/guider_settle.html

The dither is done by using the ccd.GuiderMoveStar method to change the desired position (randomly) of the guide star on the guide camera.

Then just wait until the guiding has resumed adequately using whatever criteria you choose to implement.

I haven't used a recent Maxim so I don't know if this will work out of the box but the concept should still hold true.

About the only saving grace I found with Maxim was its extensive scripting abilities as it let you implement needed features.  I've personally found Voyager pretty much superior in every way and it has adequate scripting to handle all night automation which is all I needed.

Michael Fulbright

On 5/7/19 12:04 PM, Rodd Dryfoos rodddryfoos@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Chris,

Not strictly true.  I have spoken with George a number of times regarding guiding with Maxim (star fade, calibration failure, etc). A qustion comes to mind regarding dithering.  For CMOS users that take short subs, dithering every sub can add significant time to imaging runs and the collection of less data than calculated (between the dither and the dither delay it could add 30 sec per sub--when the subs are 30 sec long, this reduces the amount of data collected by half).

Any way a "dither every 5 subs" feature can be added to Maxim?
Rodd