From the responses on this list it seems that the number of people with A-P mounts looking for an "open" solution totals less than a dozen, so maybe that has been a deciding factor already? That said, I don't think this will affect the sales price or difficulty of selling your mount nor future sales of A-P mounts. There will be a cross platform solution but it will probably not be open source.

BTW, there are other mounts out there with completely unpublished protocols, like Software Bisque and Planewave mounts. At least enough of the A-P protocol is available to slew to targets, autoguide, park/unpark, etc.

-Ray Gralak

From: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ap-gto@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 11:31 AM
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] INDI or ASCOM Alpaca?

Thank you for giving AP's stance on these matters. It is good to understand so people looking for open solutions
can choose appropriately. I will incorporate this into my future plans for what equipment I will deploy.

I think if you are losing market share because someone can run your ASCOM driver on a different mount then
customers much take the mechanical sophistication of AP mounts over others as much of a bonus?

If you are going to limit how people can use a piece of high end equipment they purchased then that is really
disappointing but again it is good to know so I can make appropriate equipment choices in the future.

Michael Fulbright

On 4/27/19 6:36 PM, Marj marj@astro-physics.com [ap-gto] wrote:

Hello Michael,

The command documentation still exists, though at a different URL due to our new website. You can access
all of our previous technical support documentation from the Support tab on our new website. Follow the link to the
current published command language document for the GTOCP3 and GTOCP4. I made a few tweaks to it a few
minutes ago to more clearly explain the control box versions. Note that the document reflects all commands through
version Q, not just version G. I have not added any commands at this time.

Thank you for your feedback below. As I mentioned previously, we will consider providing additional
commands. However, we have to weigh important factors as Ray mentioned in a recent post.

We are acutely aware that at least one European and one Chinese company have advised their customers to
use our V2 driver to operate their mounts. That annoyed us very much as you can imagine since we made (and
continue to make) an investment in the V2 driver for the benefit of AP users and it is more full-featured than most
drivers. Use of our driver enabled these companies to bring their mounts to market directly competing with us. We
have provided safeguards so that they cannot use APCC.

Secondly, we truly feel that users will more safely operate their mounts if they use APCC rather than writing
their own software. While you may understand the complexities of safely moving from one part of the sky to
another, most people have no idea what is involved. We have spent years incorporating safety features into APCC.
It is not the commands themselves, but how they are used that is the “secret sauce”. Remote imagers should not
rely on experimental software.

There are some aspects of our command language that we cannot reveal because they are proprietary to our
system. Whatever, we share with our customers would also be shared with competitors.

While there are benefits to making our command language open source, I hope that you can understand the
risks of revealing too much for a small company like ours.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd