Re: New Owner Introduction and Question

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

That would definitely do it! I had a similar problem long ago when I set up my mount in TheSkyX. My town has the same name as one in India at the same latitude. Guess which one I picked by accident. LOL.

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 06:12, cthomp97 cthomp97@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks Stuart, I set it to unpark from 4. Then I leveled the counterweight shaft and scope after polar alignment. The problem was that it pulled in the previous owners site location instead of the ones I set up in the ASCOM driver. After I set the hand controller for EXT on power up it ran great in SGP two nights in a row!  Guiding and peak to peak measurements were disappointing but I'm sure it just needs some TLC and fine tuning. Thanks for the help.

Thanks,
Charles

-------- Original message --------
From: "Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
Date: 4/28/19 3:30 PM (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] New Owner Introduction and Question

Charles, just a guess but I would expect that if this is the first time you put a scope on that mount that you had a 50/50 chance of putting the objective on the same end of the saddle as the previous owner. That would certainly have it pointing the wrong way (and probably CW's up).

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 16:08, cthomp97 cthomp97@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi everyone, I was recently fortunate enough to purchase a lightly used AP900 CP2. It appears to have some upgrades including the fork/base and declination motor (maybe). I called Astro-Physics for some information on the mount and they were very helpful.  Any information on things to look for would be greatly appreciated for an instrument of this age. I purchased the AP grease kit so I can regrease and mesh the worms correctly.

Last night I had the first chance to get the mount out under the stars for the first time!  I only had two problems. The first was when I had the mount slew to an object in the East the mount would point West instead!  I double checked my time zone, location and didn't have North South switch backwards. This was easily fixed with a plate solve and sync to the mount from Sequence Generator Pro but I don't know why it's backwards on the initial go-to.  Also, the guiding was very rough most of the night with PHD2 which I wasnt expecting. Some info on my setup is below. Thanks!

Location Nashville, TN area

*Polar aligned and unpark from level position 4
*AP900 CP2
*Serial to USB to laptop running V2 ASCOM and SGP
*127mm APO refractor
*80mm guidescope
*ASI1600MM Pro imaging camera
*ASI290MM mini guide camera
*HD tripod (for initial testing)

I'm sure there is some information I'm forgetting but wanted to introduce myself to the group and say thank you in advance!

Thanks,
Charles