Re: INDI or ASCOM Alpaca?

Ray Gralak

Hi Michael,

Case in point - sending a "pulse guide" to the mount.
Okay, I think I can provide insight into this.

The 'G' level documentation says the command is ':Mnxxx#' where 'n' is the direction
and 'xxx' is the duration in milleseconds.
But that's not even the least common denominator. Rev D had no 'xxx'! :-) There are still some control boxes with that version in use. What's a driver author to do about that? :-)

For longer pulses you have to do a convoluted sequence for changing the mount move
speed to guide, then initiate and time a mount move and then terminate the move.
Convoluted? Dictionary Definition: "Extremely complex and difficult to follow".

Here are the steps:

1. Set Guide Speed
2. Start move and timer
3. When timer event occurs, send "stop move" twice.

The above is what the ASCOM driver does for early mounts and long duration moves.

BTW, a "Stop move" is sent twice in case the first stop failed. Pretty simple fail safe, right? It's worked for many years in the ASCOM driver.

That said, the above logic requires very basic programming skills so I am not sure why you think it is "convoluted"? Besides Astro-Physics didn't even invent that protocol. It is the generic Meade protocol.

To make it more fun there are apparently no return codes for any of the steps you have to do nor
a way to verify the mount is at the guide speed before you move it.
That's why you always change the speed and start the move right after each other. Regarding "no responses", that's the Meade protocol. But it has worked fine for 20 years.

So on the off chance the change rate command failed you might move the mount for
2500ms at slew speed, for example.
I've not seen evidence of that happening, but you could send the "change rate" command twice. Also, you can send the change rate command followed by the start move all in one string. This virtually guarantees that if the rate is not accepted neither will the start of the move.

Hopefully there has been progress in the protocol design so you can do this with a saner
atomic operation.
Even if there was a complete redesign of the command protocol you can't expect the thousands of existing mounts with older control boxes to all upgrade! So, you *still* have to make due with all versions of the protocol.

And even Rev D, with simple start/stop moves, can be made to autoguide well with just a few common sense rules when sending commands to the mount. Can someone break that? Sure, but if you are the only driver/software talking to the mount you have control over what is sent so that shouldn't happen.

-Ray Gralak