From: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ap-gto@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2019 6:40 PM
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] INDI or ASCOM Alpaca?

Hi Ray, thanks for bringing these subjects up. There are a lot of aspects to each.

Foremost, I don't see this as an exclusive OR choice between the two, and I ask that everyone try to mentally
maneuver away from the "it has to be one or the other, and never both" mindset. There's no reason why ASCOM
(in any flavor) and INDI frameworks can't enjoy parity insofar as A-P hardware support goes. There's plenty of
need and room for both across a plethora of OSes, architectures, and programming languages.

This topic is of great interest to me personally and there is a lot of technical and philosophical ground to cover, but
it finds me busy packing on the eve of a trip so I'm unable to contribute to it in-depth at this moment. In the quiet
moments on the plane I'll put my thoughts on my personal blog, as I find it a better venue than email to lay things
out.

/dale

On Apr 26, 2019, at 8:38 PM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@gralak.com [ap-gto] <ap-
gto@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hello all,

Of those users wishing for a non-Windows support for your mount, which platform would you prefer Astro-
Physics to devote resources?

INDI or ASCOM Alpaca?

INDI has been around for some time and runs on LINUX and MAC OSX and Windows. ASCOM Alpaca is still in
the early stages of development. There are no significant applications that work on LINUX or MACs, and there
may not be for some time.

However, ASCOM Alpaca is modular as opposed to INDI's monolithic design. Once drivers are available Alpaca
devices can be standalone (over the network or wifi) or on another computer. I believe INDI only works on the
computer it is running unless the device has a network interface.

There may be other advantages or disadvantages to INDI or ASCOM Alpaca. Please contribute your
knowledge or preferences if you are interested in this topic.

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc

Yahoo Groups Links