From: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ap-gto@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2019 5:53 PM
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] INDI or ASCOM Alpaca?

If sources are available for the Alpaca driver it would be a possible option.

Alternately I would just prefer adequate documentation to allow users to implement solutions to meet their use
cases.

Is Alpaca even something that is realistic in the next year or two?

Michael Fulbright

On 4/26/19 8:38 PM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@gralak.com [ap-gto] wrote:

Hello all,

Of those users wishing for a non-Windows support for your mount, which platform would you prefer Astro-
Physics to devote resources?

INDI or ASCOM Alpaca?

INDI has been around for some time and runs on LINUX and MAC OSX and Windows. ASCOM Alpaca is
still in the early stages of development. There are no significant applications that work on LINUX or MACs, and
there may not be for some time.

However, ASCOM Alpaca is modular as opposed to INDI's monolithic design. Once drivers are available
Alpaca devices can be standalone (over the network or wifi) or on another computer. I believe INDI only works on
the computer it is running unless the device has a network interface.

There may be other advantages or disadvantages to INDI or ASCOM Alpaca. Please contribute your
knowledge or preferences if you are interested in this topic.

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc