Re: ANYONE using GTO4 and INDI?

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

I did what I could to improve the AP INDI driver to the point I've used it for 2 years for all night imaging.  When I started it barely worked.  But it doesn't have some of the nice features you'd want for unattended imaging.  Without further documentation I have pretty much backed away from working on it as it does everything I needed at the time.   Just looking at the protocol traffic from the ASCOM driver in the logs is enough to tell there is a a significant fraction of the features of the mount we can't access at this point.

Michael Fulbright

On 4/24/19 4:45 PM, Dale Ghent daleg@... [ap-gto] wrote:

I don't think it's so much the amount of engineering that's needed that's the issue. While they can be involved, drivers on this level really aren't complex things. A better-documented wire protocol would certainly help greatly in any respect. Alpaca won't solve any problems in this regard, either, unless an Alpca service were implemented on the CP4/CP5 itself. While that would be cool, I have issues with certain aspects of Alpaca that leave me luke-warm about it overall.

/dale

> On Apr 24, 2019, at 4:31 PM, Bill Long bill@... [ap-gto] wrote:
>
>
>
> The amount of engineering needed vs the interested base has always been the hangup. With Alpaca on the horizon though, we should see cross platform support for ASCOM become a real thing. Once that has been done, then getting devices working on things like the Raspberry Pi, is easier to accomplish for developers.
>
> While it wont run on a Raspberry Pi, Starkeeper Voyager has been so good, I have lost quite a bit of interest in other platforms. So I am using that for now, and keeping an eye on how Alpaca progresses.
>
> From: ap-gto@... on behalf of Ron Kramer ronkramer1957@... [ap-gto]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:14 PM
> To: ap-gto@...
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] ANYONE using GTO4 and INDI?
>
>
> interesting lack of support. (no official responses?) At any rate - this is what others are saying in other forums. One of the driver authors for the INDI AP driver.
> Lets you see what we're up against. Maybe I won't do a mach2 afterall.
>
> ..
> ______________
>
>
> The problem is just how the AP serial protocol (that is documented) works.
>
> The command to move the mount at guide rate only accepts up to 999ms.
>
> Otherwise you have to do a convoluted sequence just for a simple guide motion:
>
> 1) Set mount to move at guide speed
> 2) Tell mount to start moving
> 3) Wait the duration desired for the guide action
> 4) Tell mount to stop moving
>
> AP really made it even more exciting as you cannot read the current move speed from the mount and there are no return codes for any of these operations.
>
> So you can't verify you are at guide speed before doing the move.
>
> You are just hoping the start and stop commands were accepted as you don't get any confirmation.
>
> I found that on my CP4 you could actually send durations up to 9999ms but this is not documented (like most of the stuff for AP mounts).
>
> It is tempting to make it an option to compile the driver to just use up to 9999ms durations but since it isn't documented I wasn't confortable shipping the code this way. I did run it that way for months without any problems.
>
> My current view is AP should get involved in some fashion as clearly people are using the driver and the current documentation from AP is not adequate. If you look at an ASCOM debug log from the AP driver there are so many commands being used we have no documentation for it is clear writing and supporting a proper driver is just not possible without more support.
>
> That said the driver is light years better than when I first tried to use it about 2 years ago and for an _attended_ imaging session I think it will do everything required for imaging. I still would not use it unattended imaging - but that is partly based on my poor experiences trying to have EKOS run an overnight session unattended compared to something like ACP or Voyager under Windows.
>
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 11:46 AM Ron Kramer wrote:
> I have been over at the indi support forums. (amazing guys) often fix things I request over night!
> Other AP users there too - same issues. They also said to let AP know that many of us use or WANT TO USE INDI and hoped AP would support it more. I'll email you - thanks.
> Indi and Kstars/Ekos is phreak'n awesome. I run the server on a cheap PI computer. I wifi from my desktop in the house in windows to control the entire remote obsy.
> ALL works perfectly - except this AP hiccup.
>
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:57 PM Michael Fulbright mike.fulbright@... [ap-gto] wrote:
>
> I've been imaging with my Mach1 and and INDI for a couple of years now - probably best to address on the INDI forums however or send me a private email.
>
> Michael Fulbright
>
>
> On 4/21/19 7:24 PM, ronkramer1957@... [ap-gto] wrote:
>>
>> I've converted over to INDI and loving it except I'm having a strange situation when I try to calibrate the guider. It starts fine with tiny movements in the star... then after 8- clicks or so it will lose the star and the mount starts doing calibration jumps across the sky! Another Mach1 user has the same thing. I'm wondering if any AP mount user has been using INDI and successfully guiding? (which driver?) I'm using AstroPhysics Experimental driver currently.
>>
>>
>> When I try PHD2 on Linux it does the same thing. If I use PHD2 on Windows it's fine.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Ron Kramer
> https://www.facebook.com/Ron.R.Kramer
>
>
>
>

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.